Monday, October 27, 2008

An Edifice Complex

The Peace Corps is an adventure, a chance to learn the idiosyncrasies of a unique and beautiful culture, and, of course, a chance to share your own values and traditions with a community of people. It offers challenges of momentous proportions and causes those who choose this path to reconsider their aspirations, way of life, and the promise of North American Dreams. But above all, it gives the opportunity to leave a lasting impact on a small pocket of the world, and for me this impact has taken the form of infrastructure.

My edifice complex began early in my service; I thought “What better way to be remembered by the people of Cuajiniquil than with a solid structure with a wide base”. My quest to construct was insatiable and nothing was going to stop me. I raced through ideas, considering statues in my likeness or a small restaurant with a breakfast special named “El Robertazo”, but ultimately it was a community directed effort that won out- I think the Peace Corps will be happy with this.

We are now in the final stages of a project proposal for a “Centro de Información Turística”, the idea is threefold: A central location that will offer all the Tourism Services available in Cuajiniquil in a complete packet or offer (fishing, scuba diving, horses, etc.), the second element is a Centro de Inteligencia or a computer lab, and finally a professional office for the A.D.I. and other organized groups in the community. The project will help to ameliorate some of the problems faced by the community; e.g. working toward job creation, modern educational initiatives, and organizational development.

Outside of this I’ve contracted with the local Catholic Church to help with the construction of a Salón Multiuso. The aim is to provide an area for the youth of the community to organize and a space for community fundraising events. With social problems proliferating, mainly drug abuse and alcoholism, and the Salón Comunal currently being used as a High School; this project works to bridge a widening gap. Considering that my first effort failed to raise me to saintly status, the Catholic Church offered the chance for resurrection. How could I get the community to worship me? …a Church Project, genius. Again, I´ve seen my chances dashed by the enthusiastic participation of a few dedicated community members. My concession to the powers that be was obviously predestined but working for the salvation of the youth of Cuajiniquil (perhaps that was a little heavy handed) is enough for a humble Peace Corps volunteer.

All joking aside, I feel that after 5 months of service I’m starting to feel a little momentum in my work and an interest on the side of the community. It’s difficult to explain the role of Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) with only a handful of Spanish but my community is beginning to understand my role and function through these actions. I don’t think that my edifice complex will subside (especially with talks of bridges, bleachers, and bakeries for the coming year) but my need to be vindicated already has. I knew coming into this experience that I would be working for communal goals and the things that I’m learning and experiencing: language, culture, friendships…, are the real rewards of Peace Corps Service. So my focus is changing and I’ve decided to construct friendships, instead of monuments, and learn as much as I can about the people around me; because even though I have infrastructure projects underway my most satisfying Peace Corps moments always start with someone saying, “¿Qué dice Robertazo?...”

4 Comments:

At October 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well at least your are finally admitting that you have a complex.

Nice work, you had me running to the dictionary and google a couple of times.

 
At October 27, 2008 at 4:29 PM , Blogger robert said...

Good to know you've been resurrected - that's a good thing for a Catholic. When you come home you can inbibe in celebration at our dining room table.

 
At October 28, 2008 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's so great to be able to read about what you are doing. You are quite a clever writer. MD

 
At October 28, 2008 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Melissa Dock said...

Haha-
I am glad that you are finally settling in and finding a purpose. Who knew that all those years of catholic school would come in so handy...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home